Next week we will head out on vacation. Here's what I hope to accomplish:
1. Rest, recharge, and refresh my ministerial batteries.
2. Enjoy my family and have an attitude and actions that allow my family to enjoy me.
3. Read and journal through the Minor Prophets.
4. Read some great books. I'm packing Mere Churchianity, Sticky Church, The Fading Flesh and the Flourishing Faith, The Radical Disciple, Holy Subversion, Fear Not!, Dug Down Deep, Radical, and Jonathan Edwards: Lover of God. I hope to complete at least five of these.
5. Eat some great Tex-Mex and Chick-Fil-A.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Chuck Swindoll is an excellent Bible teacher. His voice is radio perfect and his "insights" are extremely helpful. His new series of commentaries on the New Testament are a great resource and are vintage Swindoll.
These books will be useful for serious Bible Students, Sunday School teachers, and small group leaders. Swindoll writes in an engaging style without dumbing down the text. Pastors will find helpful points of application that will flesh out their sermons.
Insights on John is the second volume in this series. I received it as a promotion from Zondervan and am very grateful for it. I am currently preaching through the Gospel of John and have found it to be a helpful tool.
This book won't replace the more scholarly commentaries on John, but it will sit very nicely on your shelf next to the the NIV Application Commentary or other "expositional" commentaries.
Posted by Midwest Razorback at 11:31 AM