500 years ago today, John Calvin was born. If you don't know who he is, just google his name. To celebrate his birthday I was going to list 500 things I appreciate about him... but that would take a long time. So instead, here is a list of 5 :-)
1. I appreciate the Institutes of the Christian Religion. Love him or hate him, Calvin's systematization of theology has had profound influence on every theologian since.
2. I appreciate Calvin's Commentaries. This is a rich set of studies over many (not all) of the books of the Bible. Great devotional material here.
3. I appreciate Calvin's Sermons. Similar to the commentaries, but much more pastoral.
4. I appreciate Calvin's love for Scripture and high view of God.
5. I appreciate how Calvin has discipled me five centuries later.