Saturday, January 1, 2011

Introducing Jeremiah Burroughs

The Puritans have been my teachers for several years now. It was through the ministries of John Piper (from a distance) and my seminary president Charley Holmes (in the classroom) that I first became interested in the Puritans. But it was blogger Tony Reinke and his series The Puritan Study in 2006 that really fueled and guided my interest in the Puritans.

One Puritan was mentioned repeatedly as I perused Puritan works and read what others said about the Puritans- Jeremiah Burroughs.

Burroughs was one of the Westminster Divines- a member of the group that wrote the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Longer and Shorter Catechisms. Even for a Baptist like me, the Westminster documents are breath taking. The depth, scope and weightiness of the Confess and two Catechisms cannot be overstated. I have turned to them over and over again over the last 5 years or so to help me think through the implications of doctrine in Christian living.

Burroughs was born in 1599 and faithfully served the Lord in England and Holland. He was known for his winsome and gentle spirit. Burroughs was not only a theologian capable of helping draft some of the most important theological documents in church history, he was a pastor. This makes him of great interest to me. He was no ivory tower thinker, detached from every day life. He was a deep thinker in the daily trenches of average life. He was Gospel rooted, theologically robust, deeply spiritual, and incredibly helpful.

I look forward to spending time learning from Mr. Burroughs this year. I intend to read at least twelve of his books, including the Gospel Life series. Each week I will post a quotation or two from my previous reading.

For more information about Burroughs, visit A Puritan's Mind.

No comments: