Monday, January 5, 2009

Pleasing God, Not Man

"Unless I remained content with the approbation of God alone, and despised both the foolish and perverse judgments of ignorant men and the wrong and malicious ones of the wicked, things would go ill for me. God has filled my mind with zeal to spread his Kingdom and to further the public good. I am also duly clear in my own conscience, and have God and the angels to witness, that since I undertook the office of teacher in the church, I have had no other purpose than to benefit the church by maintaining the pure doctrine of godliness."

~ John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion
As ministers of the Gospel, we will be attacked and assaulted from every direction by those who do not submit to the truth of God's Word. If we aim to make people happy, we will fail God. If we aim to please God by remaining faithful to Him, having no purpose other than His glory manifested in the good of His people, we will be successful in our ministries.

No comments: